Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Something that makes life easier... Crock Pot on a Timer Edition

Every now and then I post a picture of something that makes life a little easier around here. It's no rocket science, just some things that I've picked up along the way. :)

A few years ago I was at my friends house and noticed her crock pot.  It was really fancy.  It had low heat, high heat, keep warm options AND it had a timer.  I thought that was incredible and would have loved to have had one, but couldn't see a reason to spend the money when my 2 function (3 if you include - OFF) pot worked just fine.  The timer on that crock pot was what really got me excited.  I loved the thought of leaving the house in the morning and having my supper turn itself on and/or off, if needed.  

Last year I was planning a lunch where I needed my crock pot to come on at 3 or 4 or in the morning.  I am not a big fan of getting up in the night so I was trying to figure a way out of that... then I thought of our lamp timer.... you know, the thing you plug into your lamp when your on vacation so it gives the illusion that you are home when you're really not???!!  I got it out to test it with my crock pot and sure enough, it worked.


Here's what it looks like (It's actually plugged in upside down in this outlet.  Go ahead, tilt your head so you can get a good look.)...



All you have to do is set the approximate time on the turn dial in the middle.  Set your blue peg to what time you want your crock pot to turn on and the red one to when you want it to turn off (I didn't set the red one here for the right time because I was going to be home to turn it off).  Then load your crock pot (Crock Pot Enchilada's pictured here)...



And turn the crock pot dial to your desired setting...


Works like a charm!  :)  Give it a try!

1 comment:

erin said...

Very clever. Now post the recipe for what's cooking in the crock pot!