Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Menu Plan - Clean Out the Freezer Week

We have done quite a bit of traveling over the past couple weeks, so I thought saving a little money on groceries this week would counter some of our traveling expenses. I am in the habit of throwing odds and ends in the freezer... here's what I found today as I cleaned out... it's difficult to take a good picture of baggies of miscellaneous food, but you'll get the idea. :)

In this picture: crushed tomatoes, extra ricotta/spinach filling for shells, extra spaghetti sauce, 2 ripe bananas, potato puffs - aka tater tots, Italian bread loaf (hiding in the back)
4 whole wheat rolls, leftover roast beef, berry smoothie in the jar, apple pie ready for a crust, chicken breasts, ground turkey, shredded cabbage

There was quite a bit in there! I was able to incorporate this stuff into 6 meals for the next week, making my grocery list oh.so.short.

Here's what we're having this week:
Lunches include: leftovers, egg sandwiches, muffin tin lunches, PBJ tortillas, and tostadas, hot dogs

MONDAY
Bierocks, Honey Carrots, Fruit (we had some yummy blueberries this week... and I've been hungry for raspberries... maybe I can find some this week!?)

TUESDAY
Supper/Snack night @ small group - don't know what I'm bringing yet!

WEDNESDAY
BBQ Beef Sandwiches, Corn on the Cob, Fruit, Rolls

THURSDAY
Laughing Cow Chicken, Snap Peas, Fruit

FRIDAY
Spaghetti & Stuffed Shells, Italian Bread, Green Beans, Fruit

SATURDAY
Tater Tot Casserole, Salad, Raw Carrots, Fruit

SUNDAY
Beef Stroganoff, Green Beans, Fruit

For snacks this week, I'm going to make an apple pie and some banana chip muffins... maybe some PB Kiss Cookies because I've been hungry for those! :)

I hope you had a relaxing weekend! Looking forward to a great week together!

Don't forget that there's a giveaway opportunity this week! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good work! Please come to my freezer!! I have sooooo much in my freezes, yes plural!!

Mandy said...

Look at you! I did this at the end of last week. We've started looking at our budget and when I told Justin how much we spend on food every month, we both about had a cow. So, I decided to see how many meals I could make with stuff that we already have here. I made an inventory of everything in our kitchen, plus Justin was gone which made meals easier. Today we had to go to the store for Mexican Monday but if not for that, we'd still be cleaning out. :) I was surprised at the miscellaneous stuff in there!

Kristen said...

I know, Mandy! It's amazing what you can find lurking in the corners of that freezer! :) Yay for saving some money! :)