Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

She'll never be the same...

I am doing my best to feed my family the purest of foods. Please understand that I haven't jumped on the "everything organic" bandwagon, but I do my best to shop on the outer edge of the grocery store... make our own sweet treats (so I know what's in them)... purchase our beef from farmers that we trust... steer away from the high fructose corn syrups, other disgustingly modified ingredients and hormones put in foods (however, I haven't been able to kick my high fructose corn syrup beverage of choice... *gasp*).

Every now and then, you have to live life on the edge, though... before I knew all this information about processed food and the effects it has on children's bodies and their behaviors (and adult's bodies and behaviors, for that matter), I used to indulge in the Smucker's Uncrustables. I decided to purchase some of these the other day to throw in Eric's lunchbox (because sometimes I'm a lazy lunch maker) and I had planned to sneak a few of them for myself. Shhhh... don't tell anyone that I sometimes hide behind a cabinet sneaking treats.

Sadie spotted me putting the Smucker's treat into the cart and she couldn't believe that you could buy a sandwich "that you didn't have to make!" Oh the glee in her voice. She immediately wanted to try one when she got home.

After arriving home, we allowed for proper thawing time, unwrapped the perfectly round sandwich and putting everything I know about the importance of WHOLE WHEAT aside, I let my baby girl take her FIRST BITE OF WHITE BREAD.

Yes it's true, this health conscious mama fed her child white bread slathered in strawberry jelly full of high fructose corn syrup... and she's still alive... sometimes it's okay to live life on the edge. :)

4 comments:

Melinda said...

So does the fact that Daniel had 2 Oreo cookies after supper tonight horrify you? :) I am all about eating healthy, but sometimes my sweet tooth (and Daniel's) speaks louder than my health-conscious side.

erin said...

hee... I hear ya on this.

But you know whole wheat is no better than white, don't you? It needs to be whole grain :).

Linda Born said...

The summer I was nine my two younger cousins from Colorado came to visit. To my mother's horror they would eat nothing but white bread and canned tomato soup. To add insult to injury, they had a ritual of balling the bread into a golf ball sized compressed mass before they would eat it. Forty-five years later both these ladies are still alive and apparently healthy. Perhaps in adulthood they learned to make healthier food choices?!

Scaly Bird Legs said...

You know...my whole industry is health related and I have one thought on the health foods, organic foods, and whole grains. They are good for you and do make you feel better in general, decrease health risks, blah blah blah. But what's the point in living if you can't enjoy a piece of German Chocolate cake or some Cold Stone ice cream!? Eating healthy will make you healthy but not being fat and exercise will increase life expectancy more than anything...if that's what you want.

Love you sis! Miss you all SO much