Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Menu Ponderings...

After Eric and I were married we decided to boycott the craziness (and expense) of the Valentine's outing and gift giving. Instead of spending time together out and about, we have a night in... now with the kiddos, too... we sometimes watch a movie or play games or just chill and talk. BUT the best part of the evening is we make an over the top dinner and the yummiest dessert ever... and we do it together!

We look forward to this time so much that our planning starts weeks in advance. I've already been thinking about how I'll decorate and some things I can have Sissy make for it to be special for her. But most importantly, we've been contemplating the menu.... what to serve this year??? Eric suggested crab legs the other night... that does sound good, as long as he'll fish the meat out of the legs for me. And dessert... well, I'm looking for anything that might require a couple sticks of butter and some cream cheese... or something delightfully chocolaty.... or both! :)

Anyway, all this to say... do you have any recommendations (or recipes) for the yummiest meal of the year??? I mean, we only get to eat the like queen and king once every 365 days... we can't mess this one up! Looking forward to hearing from you!

4 comments:

Christa said...

We do the same thing!!! Only now that our kids are older we make them an easy dinner and put them to bed early. Then we live it up by candle light. We were thinking crab legs too. We usually have steak but I was looking for something different this year and SAMS has some good looking crab legs. For dessert we always have chocolate covered strawberries. We drink sparkling cranberry apple juice in the pretty glasses we got for our wedding. Oh, so fun!! I am already looking forward to that day!!

Melinda said...

Hmmm...this sounds like a delicious tradition. We might have to steal this idea! I am all about anything that has butter and chocolate as the main ingredients!

MomOhrt said...

When the kids were at home, our tradition was to decorate the table with plates, cups, napkins, and table service all in a Valentine's theme. For the food, the rule was the item had to be red or white. A typical meal was something like BBQ chicken, little white potatoes, red jello, white bread, red kool-aid and decorated cookies for dessert. I also placed a little gift at each person's plate. The kids looked forward to this and of course I took a picture each year.

Farm Chick (at Heart) said...

Hey, I just found your blog! :)