Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

By special request...

After my post about putting your Crock Pot on a timer, someone requested the recipe for Crock Pot Enchiladas that was pictured in the CP.  This is a recipe that I got from my friend Julie... it is very yummy and approved by my not-so-in-love-with-the-crock-pot husband!

Slow Cooker Enchiladas
1 lb ground beef (I used 1/2 lb that was leftover from tacos... it still was beefy enough for us)
1 cup chopped onion (we aren't big fans of chopped onion, so I used onion powder)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I did both green and red pepper)
1 can pinto or kidney or chili beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10 ounces) Rotel
1/3 cup water
1 t chili powder
1/2 t ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
6 flour tortillas

In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until beef is browned and veggies are tender; drain.  Add the next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Combine cheeses.

In a slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese.  Repeat layers.  Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Slice like a pie and enjoy!

This is a lot of food for my family right now, so I freeze half of it after it's cooked and then warm it in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes... tastes just as good the second time around!

No comments: