Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

Bedtime Blues

I really love sleep. No.... actually, I really, REALLY, love sleep. AND I HAVE NOT BEEN GETTING ENOUGH OF IT.

Problem is as follows...
- I like to stay up till 11 or so working, reading, writing, hanging with out with Eric, etc. (so I will go out on a limb right now and say that this is PARTLY my fault).
- Cole has been waking up between 4-8 times every night... apparently the boy can't get enough of me. Oh... and did I mention that Cole wants nothing to do with daddy during the night???
- Sadie has been waking up in the night "scared" needing a drink of milk and wanting her "special light" (a light that illuminates half the house at 2AM).
- When Little Missy wakes up, Coley always wakes up.
- When Coley wakes up, Little Missy sometimes wakes up.

I don't mind getting up a couple time a night... but needing to get up 9 or more times a night SENDS ME OVER THE EDGE. Do you sense the tension???

I've tried everything I know for the boy.... Sadie was a perfect Baby Wise baby... but Cole may become Baby Wise's next research project. It's gotten to the point where something has to be done.

So, last night we decided we were going to try the "cry-it-out" method... we had previously tried it... but with the kids sharing a room, it is very difficult. We knew it was going to be a big ordeal:

The boy is stubborn + has a little bit of a temper = LOTS of noise.

We planned for Eric and Sadie to camp in the basement and I was going to be noble warrior who got this boy to sleep (How does the mom always end up with this job???).

ANYWAY... I would just like to report that I received the best nights sleep that I've had in MONTHS! The child ONLY woke up when it was time to eat!!! Does he know our tricks??? Is it the snoring and sleep talking keeping him awake??? Will Eric and Sadie forever have to sleep in the basement??? We're trying again tonight... perhaps this was a fluke.

3 comments:

Sami said...

Porsha had to cry herself to sleep every night when she was a baby. After the first few days, it usually only took a few minutes. But if we would rock her to sleep, she would wake up in the middle of the night. I am not a happy camper without a good nights sleep, so that was not an option. It was heart-breaking for a while, but Alexa has always slept good and never cried herself to sleep. I've decided that it's a personality thing.

Jennifer said...

Congrats on a good nights sleep!! :) Keep up the good work...this too shall pass!!

Melinda said...

Oh girlie,
Waking up that much is AWFUL! I pray the little guy (and Miss Sadie) start sleeping better soon! Daniel is finally sleeping better. He has slept through the night twice in the past week, so I am praying this is the beginning of a new era of our lives!