Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

And I almost threw you away

When my Grandpa passed away in September, I got to pick out a plant to take home. I chose a beautiful purple and white calla lily holding onto the hope that some how it might stay alive in my care.

I did everything I was supposed to do to take care of this plant, but slowly each stem began to turn brown and had to be trimmed back until there was nothing left but dirt. I struggled with this, that plant reminded me every day of my Grandpa and all of a sudden it was gone. As dorky as it sounds, there were days I wanted to cry over my dirt filled pot. It needed to be tossed, but I couldn't bring myself to it.

Easter weekend came around and to my surprise there we THREE sprouts in my pot!!! The calla lily had resurrected! I did my happy dance and re-potted the plant. On what would have been my Grandpa's 90th Birthday, the plant sent up another shoot and yet another on Mother's Day! Now I'm just waiting for the beautiful blooms!



God has used this precious plant to bring much blessing and joy to my life over the past few weeks. So thankful for the memories that I have of my Grandpa and the man he was.

1 comment:

erin said...

I love that God made the plant bloom at the coolest times. Another reminder of how He cares about all the "small stuff."