Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Blankey

Cole fell asleep in the car today while we were out running errands. Transitioning him from the car to the crib is always a bit tricky. He usually wakes up and then cries when he figures out that we are putting him back down to sleep longer (a 10 minute car nap is not the real deal in my books).

Today was no different. Eric unbuckled Cole from his car seat and tried to get him to snuggle in as he carried him inside. He took him upstairs and laid him down where he began crying. By the time Sadie and I made it in the door I could hear him calling for his "bankie"... which is obviously blankey. Eric grabbed the blanket off the floor and ran it to him. Cole let out one good last cry and then a peaceful sigh as Eric covered him with his fleecy blanket.

As Eric was sharing this event with me, I thought about how nice it would be to have a blankey that calmed me and protected me in my distress. The second that thought popped into my mind, I felt the Lord replacing it with... "Oh, sister... I am your calm, peace and protection. Trust me when you are afraid and uncertain. Cole will only use his blanket for a season and then I too will be his calm."

The Lord truly longs to be our peace. I pray that I would trust Him to wrap me tightly with His arms when times are tough and I'm feeling insecure.

_________________________________________________

As I was thinking about all this later this afternoon, I was reminded of this song that I listened to repeatedly in college... I think it speaks to who God is to when we are worn out and feel like life is completely out of control!
I Am by Jill Phillips

No comments: