Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Journaling with Sadie

I love to journal. I try to spend a portion of every day writing something. Writing helps me make sense of life. It makes me sane. It gives me a chance to go back, reread and see the incredible things that God has done in my life. It causes me to be more thankful.

I usually do a majority of my writing during rest time. Rest time is a beautiful time at our house. Everyone is quiet for an hour. Ahhh.... peace. While Cole naps upstairs, Sadie stakes out the chair and a half with books and a blankey while I claim the sofa with my Bible, books and journal.

Recently Sadie has become interested in my rest time routine and has wanted to read her Bible, too. She's also wanted to journal. It's one of those moments in life when you jump on the opportunity to teach... here's what we worked on. :) Obviously I do not draw pictures in my journal on a daily basis (maybe I should, it's quite colorful)... but a preschooler gets to start with the wonderful world of drawings and simple sentences.


I modeled for her things I was thankful for...

When I was done, she told me I forgot something and quickly grabbed a brown crayon. Do you see what she added??? CHOCOLATE. Does that girl know me or what??!!

Next, I had her write her own page and I wrote the words she said next to each illustration. Last, we looked up a Bible verse about God's greatness.

Posted by Picasa
Psalm 145:2 - "Great is the Lord and most worth of praise his greatness no one can fathom."

Easy peasy... but it's made an impact.... she keeps wanting to go back and reread and enjoy her journaling... and hopefully having a thankful heart as she does.

4 comments:

MamaOnTheRun33 said...

What a wonderful mama moment and lesson! You truly are a wonderful example and role model to the Christian woman, wife, and mother. Thank you for the sweet lesson! :)

erin said...

I am copying this! What a great idea!

Melinda said...

I love it! I love the rest time idea. I love the journaling together (especially being thankful for chocolate!). And I especially love how you are teaching your daughter to follow God.
Blessings, sweet sister!

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful example you are to your children! :) Thank you for sharing this with us! Makes me wish I had a scheduled "rest" time, too!