Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thanks, but I'll hold it...

I have lived 28 years without ever having to potty outside. Apparently this is an unusual occurrence because my sweet friends, Nicole (a good ol' farm girl) and Lisa (who I call to do my tough, dirty work when hubby is gone), think this is humorous. All I can say is that I prefer using a toilet that flushes... and on occasion, in an absolute emergency (maybe a dozen times in my lifetime) I will use the port-a-potty.

A few weekends ago we took the boat out to the lake. When we first got there, Sadie announced she needed to go to the bathroom. So, we walked to the bathrooms by the boat dock... upon seeing how DISGUSTING they were, Little Missy decided that she didn't have to go so bad, after all. So, we went on out for our very bumpy and windy boat ride. When we returned Eric began trailering the boat and Sadie mentioned that she needed to go to the bathroom again. Knowing that she wasn't a fan of the public bathroom, I suggested that she potty outside.

Now... remember, I have very little working knowledge about pottying outside... but I do recall one bit of advice given to me in high school... if you ever have to go to the bathroom outdoors, hang your hiney off a hay bail so you don't get your feet wet. Obviously the lake does not have hay bails, but I did find a fairly large rock. So we got the swim suit pulled down and I was fixin' to pop her up on that rock... our conversation is as follows...

S: Mommy, what are you doing?
Me: I'm putting you on this rock to potty so you don't get your feet wet with potty. Isn't that a good idea??? (trying to sound very enthusiastic, have you.)
S: No (crying a the point), this is not a a good idea. Soto (my mom's dog) goes potty outside, not wittle girls.
Me: Oh really? Okay... well how about we try out that port-a-potty again.

And off we were to finish our business.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I am CRACKING UP!!! You are soo funny! Next time you are at my house I will give you some outdoor potty lessons. LOL I have never sat on a rock or put my kids on one. I am still laughing as I am typing.

Jenny said...

Kristen, you crack me up! You would have never survived on one of our summer teams to China. Squat pot/troughs are definitely far from the "American" norm.