Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

God's Plan is so Simple...

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

A few weeks ago I went to a preview of To Save a Life. It's a movie (based off a true story) that's to be released in January 2010. To Save a Life deals with many issues in teen culture... bullying, suicide, cutting, drinking, drugs, relationships, teen pregnancy... the list could go on and on.

I left with all this running through my mind reflecting on how naive (dingy or clueless... whichever word you prefer) I was in high school... there were things out there going on, but I know I was unaware of the severity or even the vastness... and things have changed drastically in the 10 years I have been removed from high school. As I get older and work with students in ministry (and prepare to raise teenagers), I fear being disconnected to culture. I fear being unable to relate to what students are going through and being able to help meet their needs. I want to be able to understand where they're at so I can help them and point them to the One who provides all healing and redemption.

As I was processing all this, I was thinking about the issue of cutting. A huge issue among teens and young adults right now. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around how someone could want to cut. As I was pondering this, God gave me a picture of what my sinful habit of worry does to my mind and causes just as much damage... worry makes me feel like I have momentary control over whatever circumstance I'm dealing with, leaving a scar on my mind. Cutting is simply the same... a reaction to what's going on in the mind that allows someone to feel in control... leaving a more visible scar for others to see. My sin is "hidden" theirs is more "visible"... both are wrong and need to be laid before the feet of the Healer and the One who has control over our lives.

I can't help be be amazed at the simplicity of God's plan for us. It seems like we try to make such God's incredible gift so complex... it doesn't have to be. God made us for one need... the need for Him. If we can learn to submit our minds to him (day by day, moment by moment), we are going to find that he puts a desire in us to be obedient to him... and as we submit, we will see our fleshly desires and habitsdissipate... we find freedom from worry, alcoholism, drug addictions, cutting etc. Is the submission thing always easy??? Absolutely not... it takes persistence... eyes to His Word, ears to his calling... but I cannot think of a safer place to be when my world seems out of control than in the arms of Christ.

God, you created us with a need for you... help us to not do life alone... help us to submit to you and set our minds on you alone.

Romans 12:2 - Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Colossians 3:2 - Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Good stuff...very good stuff. Thanks for sharing!